28 December 2011

Sex and the Single Teen

Deep breathe, woosah!

A great mommy blog I follow The Young Mommy Life posted an interesting article on allowing sleep overs of teenage boyfriends and girlfriends. Blank stare. The overall gist of the article was that parents should keep the lines of communication open with their teenagers about sex. I wholeheartedly concur. But my level of expectation for Stuffing and Pumpkin are high, very high. My rule on sex is extremely simple, when you or the person you're having sex with can afford to keep you in the lifestyle you are accustomed to, then by all means go for it, you have my blessing. If you or he cannot provide for your upkeep well don't expect me to bail you out, get a job.

Is this harsh? Some may say yes but you can't get the full perks of being an adult but have your hand out like a child it doesn't work that way. I'm not financing a life so you can be reckless. I'm giving my children opportunities to information, education and access to a better future, to not have to make the same choices their father and I had to make because we didn't have any other choice. Sex will not be taboo in our home, we will discuss and debate and give correct information. However as my child, you will follow my rules or you can carve out your own existence. I do not pander to whiny smart asses. You were cut out of me not the other way other around. I'm not afraid of being a parent and parenting my child. If they choose to deviate from they way they have been raised. Then that is on them, I do not accept responsibility for any one's actions but my own especially when I've given the critical thinking tools to make smart decisions.

Ugh things parents are willing to allow TRULY disturb me. Stop being afraid to parent.

 http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/12/26/exp-am-sleepovers-schalet.cnn

Video link

1 comment:

  1. Right on...I agree parents need to stop being afraid to parent. My girls are 13 and 14 and they are bored of hubby and I speaking about it, but, they know where we stand. That's it, final word...they mess up, it's on them.

    ReplyDelete