05 July 2011

Girls just wanna have fun

I love nail polish, manicures, pedicures, facials, hair, make up and well all things girly. This of course had taken a back seat to all things mommy through neglect on my part. First it was the stress of the NICU, then being home with a premature infant as well as being a first time parent and guilt I felt over my daughter's start in life.

It's not something that every preemie parent goes through but it is something that I went through and still am dealing with today. Looking through pictures of myself on Facebook and even just through the house I realized how much I'd flat out given up on. My hair was a mess, tangles, knots, split ends on top of my spilt ends, breakage etc. My face was abysmal, my feet look like I make a profession of walking in powder. I really am not perturbed by my weight just yet so i'll give that a miss.

My husband has never said a word except when I wear a bun but he despises buns on general principle. My mother on the other hand made it her life's mission to inquire what was wrong, why was I not doing XYZ anymore. She never failed to mention that I used to take such good care of myself and now I did the bare minimum (brush my teeth and use deoderent). I now realize she wasn't being malicious she was being honest. I did take care of and pampered myself rotten. My outward appearance was a reflection of how much I loved myself. If my husband wanted to make my day just bring home a bottle of new nail polish and my eyes would glaze over. Now I can't even be bothered.

Have my priorities shifted? Absolutely. Does that mean I can't continue my girly pampering? Absolutely not! I just have to take the time out to remember to focus on me. My beauty rituals were never long but they aided in my relaxation down time. It's time to love me again, one nail at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment