05 September 2011

The Moment When...

Your baby takes that first awful tumble.

This is probably one of the most gut wrenching calamities to happen to a parent. Stuffing has rolled off of the couch before and landed on the ground, fortunately our couch is very close to the ground and while she was stunned, one piercing shriek was the extent of her displeasure. Last night in the middle of a speed crawl her hand slipped from underneath her and her face hit the kitchen floor, hard. I heard the "thwack" of my sweet girl's face hitting the floor and saw blood. I don't know who screamed loudest. I felt sick to my stomach.


We cried together, until I was assured by multiple third parties, that A. she was indeed concussion free B. not going to bleed to death and C. she was going to be OK. Children get hurt, they fall, get cut, slam fingers into crevices, run head first into pointy objects and live to tell the tale. We as parents know this but that first awful fall jars us from a place of knowing. Seeing blood pouring out of your child's mouth is agony inducing. We have made it through with a swollen lip and cut gum but ay dios mio I don't want to experience that again.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I've been through all those and it never fails to render me weak and unnerve by the feeling of helplessness and wanting to take it away from my baby.

    It's a mother's burden, bearing these things. It's not a bad burden, it just is.

    I'm glad your sweetie is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of you to visit my blog Candi.
    I was even happier to find a Jamaican blogger...*smile*

    Your little one is so precious, I can see why you would want another.
    I agree with Jamericanspice, the feeling of helplessness is just awful.

    I am glad she's okay.

    ReplyDelete