13 May 2011

Support Systems

As a working mother, the most important lesson I’ve learned and the first piece of advice I would give to a mom to be or a new mom is to get your support system in place immediately. Start pinpointing the people in your life who will step up to the plate when you need assistance. While many offers of assistance will materialize, “Oh I will help you any time! Just call me”, these are hardly ever backed up with tangible help.

I’ve been home with Tali-baby for two days while she’s getting through this fourth episode with an ear infection and viral throat infection but needed to return to work today but knew she was not ready to be back in day care with all the germs that are floating around. I called my sister at 7am, waking her up, and asked if it was possible to drop her off, and she jumped at the chance. She loves spending the day with her favourite (and only) niece and if available has yet to turn me down. This is the kind of support you need when you’re a mom. People who are true to their word and will provide the assistance promised. This is not to say that people who don’t provide assistance are somehow lacking because not everyone is gung ho about being a baby sitter especially if they already have obligations or just don’t want to be bothered. Not everyone likes babies or children, even if they have them. Which people find impossible to understand. It’s just beneficial to use what you have and go the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment